#WriteTip #WeCreate: Double Post Special. Work space and Cutey Bear!
Posted by oneofthedragons
This will be a double post, covering #Writetip Friday and #WeCreate Saturday.
First off, write tip!
One way to get into the writing zone, is making sure you have a work space which helps you focus and concentrate–even generate ideas. The work space in my office looks so terribly messy, but everything is there for a reason.
- There is a skull to the left which remind me of how fleeting life is, and how scary your mind can be.
- There are some of my action figures dotted around which help me remember fantastic scenes and stories which I can draw on for inspiration.
- There are my posters, similar to the figures in the feelings and memories they invoke. Of course, Captain Scarlet was always finding himself in peril, much like my own characters!
- There are my work boards with my character sheets, flow charts and story outline for Emergence, so I don’t get lost in my writing.
- I have my speakers set up for playing my writing play-lists which help me to concentrate.
- There is my cup warmer to keep my tea warm while I write as I often forget I made one!
- My actual space is relatively clear so I don’t get annoyed while typing.
- My chair is set up at the right height, with cushions on it for comfort.
- Lighting is set up so I don’t strain my eyes, the monitors are at 50% brightness or lower depending on how dry my eyes are.
All of this makes me happy, and I think you need to feel happy in your work space, otherwise your writing will suffer due to your frustration. Sometimes my work space changes if I feel I need a certain mind set, so I might change it around a little. But, for the most part, all of these items remain in place.
What is your word space like and why? Let me know!
As for #WeCreate, I received this in the mail today, all the way from Hungary. It’s from my dear friend Kitti, and she made it herself as a gift for me.
As I’ve said before, art can mean many things to many people, but it all means something. I can look at this lovely little bear and see the work which went into her creation. Every stitch made in a certain way to shape the form of the bear. The choice of yarn used, to give her a smooth and pretty finish. The little bows as added accents, just to make her so cute. But there is more in this little bear than her stuffing and material.
There is love in every little stitch, thanks in every piece of stuffing and she is friendship existing in a material form. Yes she is adorable and cute and well made, but to me, she is more than just a little bear; she is a symbol of friendship. Therefore, I named her Amity, which means; Friendship!
And now, she sits on my work space, next to the skull and the alien from the first Independence Day, to remind me that not everything in life is harsh and depressing. Sometimes, life is beautiful. 🙂
F.R. Donaldson lives in scenic Scotland. She is the author of the psychological sci-fi MALEVOLENCE
About oneofthedragonsSamantha K. Balk and F. R. Donaldson met on An Archive of Our Own, one of the many fanfiction sites online, when Sam asked Frankie to illustrate the fanfiction that would one day lead to Sam's first novel. They've been friends ever since! This blog was created as a way to share the oftentimes difficult journey any new author experiences on the uncomfortable quest of an introvert for attention to his or her most personal work. It is meant to remind you that authors don't just appear fully fledged like a George R. R. Martin, that all of us start out unsure and feeling inadequate. Feel free to ask us anything. Sam: email@example.com Frankie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on October 1, 2016, in #WeCreate, #WriteTip, Frankeh Updates, Updates and tagged #WeCreate, #WriteTip, action, area, author, bear, blog, Blogging, book, books, cute, ebook, eBooks, environment, figures, mind space, music, novel, novels, office, office area, posters, setup, skeleton, skull, space, tidy, work space, write, writer, writing. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.