So Today I Won NaNoWriMo
Posted by oneofthedragons
Sam speaking. ^_^ I’d have updated sooner, but I accidentally deleted the vlog I made on Sunday. Oops.
So early this morning I won NaNoWriMo. That means I wrote 50,000 words during the month of November, though there are no true prizes other than having done so (there are some discounts and such for winners, but I don’t take advantage of most of those).
I’d make you a vlog as per our usual method, except that my insanity has certain effects on the normal routine, and in this case that means I haven’t showered in a couple of days. 😀 Sure, laugh if you will. This isn’t as rare as you’d think! We get a little lost in our own worlds sometimes and forget to do basic things like eating, sleeping, and showering.
Back to topic.
So I finished. This is a first draft, and it’s a rougher first draft than I usually produce. Usually my first draft is on par with most people’s second or third drafts (though it still requires a lot of scrutinizing… I usually go through and edit between 10-15 times after the words are written). This time, it’s going to need a lot of work. I changed my mind on certain aspects throughout the piece. Religion evolved as a major theme and now needs to be worked in more elegantly. I have no concept of a timeline, so that needs careful organization. The setting may or may not have some inconsistencies I will need to work out.
There are aspects that I know are close to flawless, though. My characters exceeded my expectations and came to the game with a HUGE presence of personality. I know without a doubt that they’ll help out in the next stages of revision. And because the characters are overachievers, that made the dialogue easy. But because the characters and the dialogue were so much of the focus, the prose in between is weak by my standards. That is what I’ll be focusing the most on through Edit #1.
So basically, now we’re onto the next stages of me reclaiming my writing career, and the schedule looks as follows:
- Edit THE BLOOD OF NERYS (working title for my NaNo novel)
- Edit ACHILLEA because I know how to fix it
- Write the sequel to ACHILLEA because that can happen now!
- Edit the sequel to ACHILLEA
- Publish ACHILLEA, THE BLOOD OF NERYS, and A SHINY FOR TRICK in 2016. My intentions are to make THE BLOOD OF NERYS a free book to make it easily accessible to people who are curious about my work. It’s a standalone, so that would be an appropriate use for it.
- Write a sequel to Achillea’s series, because I got a new idea for that and it’s going to be incredible. Also, everyone loves Heike (because she’ll kill you if you don’t), so revisiting her character will never, ever be a bad idea.
- Publish the sequel to ACHILLEA
- Edit the next in that series
- Publish that.
- Write more
- Edit more
- Publish more
I’ll see what I can do to get Frankie to post a vlog. She’s probably playing Fallout 4, but she’s also really excited about Malevolence, so cross your fingers!
Thank you all for following! I’ll keep you updated!